Friday, April 13, 2007

RSS Aggregator - Not Agravating!


In my instructional technology class last Thursday, we subscribed to “Bloglines” an RSS aggregator which allows users to pick and choose feeds of news and information and have that “feed” sent directly to your Bloglines account. The aggregator does all of your "research" for you. The user no longer has to check 15 websites a day to get the latest news in which they are interested, the aggregator collects the information in an email inbox format and allows the user to read the information at the appropriate time.

Bloglines seems to be a very useful tool, especially in the very busy world of education. I know I don’t have the time during the day to check out 10 websites or blogs and find the information I need about Instructional Technology. Now with bloglines, I don’t have to waste time scouring the web. The aggregator collects articles and blog postings and stores them for me, and I can read them whenever I can get around to it: think of it like "on demand" for internet information.

The aggregator is also good for information outside the academic world, such as world news, sports, weather etc. Any site I can find with a RSS feed on it can be set up to run through my Bloglines account.

I’ve also found another option, and for me, an easier option to use in terms of an RSS aggregator. With the new Microsoft Outlook 2007, there is a special folder for RSS feeds that works just like Bloglines. So now, rather than have to log onto Bloglines, I do not even have to go that far. I can check my daily school email account, then open my RSS feeds folder, and check out the new information that has been “sent” to me throughout the day.

Both tools have made my day much easier, and allowed me to consume much more information on a daily basis. It really has changed the way I gather information, and has even allowed me to stop buying the Philadelphia Daily News because I now subscribe to the Sports RSS feed and get all the days articles delivered to my laptop. That’s better than having home delivery. I don’t even have to open the door anymore!

So... if you see a little orange icon on a web page, click on it, sit back - relax and enjoy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rob,

Can't beat a tool that saves rather than costs you money :-) Your post does tap into the prevailing line of thought that foresees digital technology making traditional publishing media obsolete. Can you envision a classroom without textbooks? (If not, why not?!?!?!) Good post.

SG